Thursday 21 April 2016

Victorian meets American Horror Story


Victorian meets American Horror Story...

This week we had a third year take our class, it was inspiration from american horror story. 


AMERICAN HORROR STORY (no date) Available at: http://ahs-ahs-ahs.tumblr.com/post/105126600705/jessica-lange-life (Accessed: 22 April 2016).
Inline Citations:
  • (AMERICAN HORROR STORY, no date)
  •  

Shea, C.D. (2015) What’s on this week around the world. Available at: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/07/03/whats-on-this-week-around-the-world-31/?_r=0 (Accessed: 22 April 2016).
Inline Citations:
  • (Shea, 2015)
  •  

    This image was my inspiration for this weeks look, the Victorian era rolls in a 'sausage roll' appearance around the bottom half of the head, creating a neat but classic hair design. I love this image of the red haired maid in season 1, its simply beautiful and a timeless look. 

What we did and how we did it...
I used heated curlers, as I love the effect it gives the hair, it also creates great volume and texture within the hair and I think they are perfect for this period of hair. 

I simply focused on the ends of hair and curled and pined it up creating a sausage effect around the bottom part of the hair, going around the whole head. I loved this look and gave me ideas for my character hair designs for our next part of our assessment. 

I found working with the heated curlers very difficult, especially making them stay pinned tight to the head and making a certain pattern with them to create different curl directions, giving the hair texture with that skill. Once I got the hang of it, I loved it, what I loved most is the effect they give the hair. 


Products and materials used:
  • Heated curlers
  • Brush
  • Pin comb
  • Pins to grip curls with


A few images of the simple yet effective design on my Katie head 


The back of the head with the pinned curls forming a 'sausage' shape around the bottom of the hairline.


The side view of the hair design


Another image of the other side


Last one..






No comments: