Monday 21 March 2016

Makeup: Wound pieces- Colouring & applying

Wound pieces, how to colour & apply...

In today's lesson we used prosethic wounds. It was an introduction to next year when we do special effects, so I was very excited to give it a go and see how it was done.
We first watched sue demonstrate, then we got stuck in with playing with the new products and colouring and filling the wound.

Health and safety
  • Make sure your model is covered up with a gown to protect their clothes from product spillage, just in case, as this is a messy job.
  • Make sure the skin well prepped (cleanse, tone and moisturise)
  • Make sure latex, spirit gum is patch tested on model before use 48 hrs before
  • Keep hair away from the face when applying products/ makeup
  • Decant products between each model
  • Keep work surface clear and surrounding area 
  • Make sure the area you are working on it prepped and that you use barrier foam before applying the mould, making the wound remove pain free without sticking to much to the skin itself.



What I did and how...

I used a ready made prosthetic piece in a  wound mould, applied the prosaide which acts like a glue on the back of it and on the area of the skin where I wanted to place it, which was the forearm.

I made the sure the glue went clear before placing the prosthetic onto the skin and pressed down hard which fixing the wound and disolved the edges with witch hazel on a cotton bud in order for it to blend into the skin, making it look more realistic.

I found it tricky to blend the edges, so next time I would apply more prosaide/ glue and more care with witch hazel. I rushed a little bit cause we were running out of time, but I feel I did a good job with the overall look in the time given, especially where it was my first time doing this.
After I blended the edges, I got creative and mixed up a matching foundation colour over the wound for it to really blend into my models arm well; I then built light shades of red and pink Kryolan  supra colour. 

I believe the trick of creating a good piece of prosthetic is to slowly build on it with a mixture of colours, I then used dark shades from the bruise wheel and then coated it with Kryolan congeilled and runny blood with a sponge to create more of a spalted effect on the skin.

Between building the product I powdered the area in order for the application to fix in place. 
Here are the images of the stages of my lesson of applying wounds and creating into a more "Gorey" effect, which I really enjoyed doing.

Products & Materials used:
  • Barrier foam
  • Prosaide (glue for sfx)
  • Wound pieces from gelatine
  • Pro clean to remove the wound pieces off with
  • Witch hazel to smoothen edges to blend into skin
  • Runny blood Kryolan 
  • Supra color Kryolan 
  • Cotton buds
  • Eyeshadow brushes and small brushes for detail 
  • Stiple sponge 
Images of the products used during this task shown below


Wound pieces applied to the skin 


Pro-clean to remove the pieces when complete


The stages of the process of the wound piece in action 



The final result working and building up product to make it look realistic, not too bad for my first attempt, I enjoyed this week as much as all my weeks doing special effects.


More images just at different angles













No comments: