Friday 4 March 2016

Hair: Late victorian & inspiration research for Mr. Hyde

Late Victorian Research & Hair Design for Character inspiration

This week we looked at creating a late victorian hair style, with the use of heated curlers, when looking into the late years of the 1800's, there hair became looser in curls less structured even though they had strong centre parting but the hair was less neat and hair was usually longer for women and for men. 



Tristan (2012) Victorian Era Hairstyles part 3. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_55ZGBCMw (Accessed: 25 April 2016).
Inline Citations:
  • (Tristan, 2012)
  •   


Above image and images below from:

Harris, K. (2015) Victorian Hairstyles: A short history, in photos. Available at: http://www.whizzpast.com/victorian-hairstyles-a-short-history-in-photos/ (Accessed: 25 April 2016).
Inline Citations:
  • (Harris, 2015)
  •   




This week I worked with heated curlers for the first time. I found them a bit fiddlerly when it came to pinning them down with the wide set pins to the head. 
I enjoyed the process and loved the outcome the heated rollers gave the hair. 

We did a hair design showing how the late Victorians would wear their hair, with the use of loose curls, but still with the strong centre parting and with the cascade of curls at the top back of the head and falling down. 

I found gathering all the curls together and pinning them in a dynamic, well structured way was difficult, in order to manipulate and tease the hair to stay and look pretty. This frustrates me throughout this process. 
I have taken this on board and will learn from here and practice this in the net future in order to gain the basic skills of hair design under my belt. I find once I practice something over and over it suddenly clicks and I get the whole process, so I'm hoping this will happen with me.
All in all I loved the heated rollers and the bounce they gave to the hair, this is one of my favourite pieces of equipment, so this will make me want to master the technique of the hair once it's curled.

Here are images of the process of each step and where I struggled.


Another angle of the heated curlers, I found it a bit of a struggle to pin them into the right shape. 


Back view of the katie doll, with my attempt of creating a late victorian hair style.


Front angle 


Following on...
This week in class I tried out ideas of how I want to create my final hair design for the continuity assessment, I included a late victorian hair style because of the era my chosen book was created. I wanted to create loose curls with a sleek finish.

When looking into Mr. Hydes hair designs over the years and how they've created it, it is always quiet long, so I wanted to create this in my design, I wanted to keep it simple yet greased back and effective. I was inspired by a few images I have found, in the image of Dr. Jekyll below in the 'Dr. Jekyll el hombre lobo' as he changes into Mr. Hyde, I like the drawing of his hair, dark black greased looking and with his hat; I feel I will definitely use a hat in my design because of many images I have seen of Mr. Hyde with a top hat on, I feel this is his statement and they were very popular among middle class men during the late victorian times.



























Wilson, S. and profile, V. my complete (2016) MONDO 70: A wild world of cinema. Available at: http://mondo70.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/dr-jekyll-and-werewolf-1972.html (Accessed: 25 April 2016).
Inline Citations:
  • (Wilson and profile, 2016)
  •  

Robert Louis Stevenson The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde first published 1886. Mr Hyde letting himself in after his night's adventures to take the antidote and to resume the character of Dr Jekyll. Illustration by Edmund J Sullivan from an edition published 1928.

Images, Y. (1928) YOONIQ images RM #100875907. Available at: https://yooniqimages.com/images/detail/100875907/Creative/robert-louis-stevenson-the-strange-case-of-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-first-published-1886-mr-hyde-letting-himself-in-after-his-nights-adventures-to-take-the-antidote-and-to-resume-the-character-of-dr-jekyll-illustration-by-edmund-j-sullivan-from-an-edition-published-1928 (Accessed: 25 April 2016).
Inline Citations:
  • (Images, 1928)
  •  

I also discovered this drawing of Mr. Hyde which I feel really captures how I see him when reading the book, I love this drawing where you see he's a human but with sinister features and nothing not quiet right about him and also his hair is dark, greased not clean and long which reinforces why I will keep the hair simple yet greased and long.


jekyll and hyde

McMillan2013Eric (1999) Movies: Strange case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - the greatest literature of all time. Available at: http://www.editoreric.com/greatlit/movies/Strange-Case-of-Dr-Jekyll-and-Mr-Hyde-1920.html (Accessed: 25 April 2016).
Inline Citations:
  • (McMillan, 1999)
  •  

I also love this image of Mr. Hyde during his sinister actions, you can see his hair is also long and dark. This silent movie of The strange case of Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde is definitely my most inspirational out of all the research and I feel i enjoyed this the most and gathered most of my influences from this.

I gathered my inspirations and carried out a hair design on my katie doll, what I did & how..

I am creating Mr. Hyde with my own interpretation, with exploring different textures and styles.
I want to keep it simple, I am going for late Victorian style, I want my hair model to be a male but I want the style of hair to be long and I gathered not many males have the long hair long that I desire to create me look.

Therefore, I will be using a female model for my whole look as it will work best and will give me better results.

I want my model to have long dark hair as I was inspired by the 1921 silent movie of The strange case of Dr. Jekyll and mr Hyde and his hair is sleek, greasy looking but I want to combine loose curls at the end of the sleek back hair to give it a Victorian feel with also grey streaks at the side of the head as my model will be wearing a top hat which was very fashionable in the late Victorian times and also my character was wearing this through looking at my character in depth, I feel it was to "Hyde" his dark secret with the use of the top hat and this plays an important part in my overall look. 

Therefore I want to keep the hair sleek, simple yet effective and hopefully simple enough to redo to make it look exactly the same the second time round.

During the first lesson doing this I tried out using dry shampoo to create the grey streaks but tried on top of the head, which was a mistake as my hat would be covering that area, so I will change that for the sides of the hair instead.

I didn't like the look of the dry shampoo it gave the hair a powdery, flaky, dusty effect and I want to create a real bold statement with the grey/white streaks at the side, however I tested it and I will not use dry shampoo for my assessment, which I learnt from by testing and trying it out.
Here are images of the style of the hair I want to create with the dry shampoo, I created curls at the bottom of the hair and sleek back hair on top which will be under the top hat.

A few images of my one of my hair designs, late victorian style with loose curls, longer hair style, sleeked back.


I then used dry shampoo as I wanted to create grey hair because of the insanity of Mr. Hyde as a character. I liked the effects, however it was too powdery and I feel this effect would be more suited to a character like Ms. Havisham. I wanted to create stronger white streaks, so I feel next time I feel test out the Supra Color in white and will apply with a wand. 


Back image of the late victorian style, with loose curls and getting inspiration for my character Mr. Hyde. I loved the effect of the curls but I feel for my continuity this would be a struggle to get exactly the same, so I may changed the curls to just a sleeked/ greased back hair style. 


Another view of the hair design.


A couple more images of my design with my Katie doll. 









No comments: