Tuesday 8 March 2016

Continuity importance, assessments week 1 & 2 and evaluations



The importance of Continuity, assessments, evaluations & photographs


What is the General Importance of continuity in the makeup industry?

It is key as a makeup and hair artist to have the ability to carry out the same look over and over again especially in the tv and film industry; as scenes will have to be reshot, so you'll have to retouch the work and also shows and films take a long time to make and you'll be having to do the same makeup on the actors, its hard work. Therefore, make sure you always take notes and make a plan for each makeup and hair look that you're doing in order to do a perfect job each time. Also if you fell sick one day and someone needed to cover your job you'd have the notes ready for them to copy and it would run smoothly and this will cover your back and also it will prevent you from forgetting anything. 

Moving on with my continuity assessments, what I did, how and photographs...

Camera: 1/160 setting: Manual backdrop: white/grey
We had 1.5 hours to complete our makeup and hair design.

Health and Safety notes:
  • Make sure your client is covered up
  • Make sure latex, spirit gum is patch tested on model before use 48 hrs before
  • Keep hair away from the face when applying products/ makeup
  • Decant products between each model
  • Keep work surface clear and surrounding area 
Products & materials used:
  • Ultra Base Primer Charles Fox
  • Lightest Shade foundation in Kryolan Palette used with kabuki brush 
  • Dark brown Kryolan Palette 
  • Bruise Palette red, dark red, yellow & black by Mehron 
  • Supra Color black 
  • Spirit gum- stick moustache on & remover to remove it off the skin
  • Dripping blood by Kryolan 
  • Disposable wands used
  • eye shadow brushes, lip brush & a disposable sponge to apply the spirit gum 
This is the moustache I ordered because of the research into the victorian times, I felt it was a good idea to incorporate this into my design. It arrived flat and lifeless, I then got some direction from one of my lecturers on how to cut and style it properly. I then heated up the iron rods, making sure I used them with caution, whilst these were heating up, I started trimming the moustache into the right shape as it was very shapeless and then curled in a particular motion working outwards to create a curled effect. When I had finish this process, I used moustache wax and hair spray to set the shape and pinned it onto the 'pin head' so it could fix and hold shape until my assessment. I was very pleased with the outcome of the moustache piece and I loved the look of it on my model, I feel it really finished off my design look.


Final Face chart 


With a step by step to keep my look the exact same each time, I found this help me a lot, to things correctly and efficiently.



Face Chart, hair chart with step by step and images taken of the look

My Mr. Hyde Creation 
Make-up Artist: Natalie Allana Hodgkins
Model: Ella Christenson 


I was very pleased with the outcome of my make-up design in week one, it looked just like I had practiced but with a few adjustments which worked out very well. The application I felt was what I wanted to create and I loved the sleek hair effect, with the simplicity but it worked well to project my character Mr. Hyde. I really enjoyed this creation I feel I got what I wanted out of this and it has pushed me to think simple and to use a routine to get into in order to create a look more then once.

Mr. Hyde 


First week images


First week images


I created my design the following week and tried to make it exactly the same, making sure I used my continuity skills, from knowing exactly what products, brushes I used step by step in order to help me achieve the same look twice. 

Here are the images of my second assessment a week later, I was very happy with the outcome with the precision of the makeup look, however the background looks slightly darker in my first photo shoot, even though I used the same settings on the camera 1/160 manual, but I believe it was the lighting above which was on slightly more the second time, this will encourage me to work on this to make sure I look at my previous images before in more depth.


Week 2. Mr. Hyde Continuity & Evaluation

What I did and how I found it...

Today was the second part of my continuity assessment, I had my photographs that I had taken from my last assesment in order for myself to copy it like for like, to get the look exactly the same. 

I got everything set up exactly the same, including brushes and make-up in a professional manner. Going into the last part of my assessment I was a little nervous cause i really wanted to do well, but I seem to work well under pressure and I concentrate twice as hard, which is a huge bonus.

I was given the same amount of time as last time, I found at the beginning it was going really well, I got the base covered and the contour all structured in the right place.

However, I when I got to the eye make-up it was going well, but I kept going over and correcting it and this made me take a step back and rethink what I need to do in order to correct it and move on and so I did with a calm manner and I did not crack under the pressure which i was pleased about, but it worked in my favour and the look turned out amazingly.



I was very pleased with the overall look, the positioning of the make-up and presentation. My model was amazing and so positive with the feedback and very inspiring with the praise of my work, which was great to hear.

If I were to do this again, I would take more time over the eyes and blended more, as I feel i built too much make-up instead of blending the product to give the same effect and to have more faith in myself. 

Images of the look on the second week
Mr. Hyde 


More images of my Mr. Hyde Look




A back shot image...


Another image...


Loads of images...




Second week images below, recreated from last week, which I found tricky how accurate you have got to be and so precise with every little detail, however, as simple or complex the design I found it hard to do this but I over came the fear and I was happy with the outcome which was a bonus, I concentrated and worked well with my model, who was amazing to work with.


Here are a few images taken of my phone below of the continuity look week 2.


Second week images