Thursday 3 March 2016

Dirt dirt dirt


Fullers Earth, what I did this week...

This week we looked at dirt and playing around with a product called 'Fullers Earth'; I had never heard of this product before, I always thought they used real dirt or mud in films/ tv but I was fascinated when I learnt this is used. 
Its a natural product and we decanted a decent amount into a small bowl and added water until the consistency was right, when applying to the clean skin of my models face, it was very cold, so it's maybe best to let them know before applying, so they are not shocked into this as soon as it goes on.


Health and safety
  • Make sure your model is covered up with a gown to protect their clothes from product spillage, just in case, as this is a messy job.
  • Prep the skin (cleanse, tone and moisturise)
  • Be careful around the eyes when applying products/makeup
  • Use barrier foam when applying SFX onto the skin e.g. blood, latex, gelatine
  • Keep hair away from the face when applying products/ makeup
  • Decant products between each model
  • Keep work surface clear and surrounding area 

I applied it all over my models half side of her face, giving her the appearance that she'd been involved in a fall in the mud or involved in an incident. I really got stuck in with it and used a lot showing this effect, I even went into the hair line as if this was real life it wouldn't be neat so I brush bits and carried it into the hairline. I loved the effect and playing around with this product, I like the clayness of this product and the fact it was a natural product we were using to create this effect.

I made sure I avoided the eye area and went around carefully, I then played around with a dark brown spray to add colour and texture and also realism. I found this tricky to judge as the spray was very powerful, so I really needed to concentrate when doing this, I also liked the effect of this spray with the contrast of the green and brown and how it worked and complimented each other. 

Products and materials used:
  • Gown to cover model
  • Cleanse, tone and moisturiser
  • Fullers Earth with water
  • Spatulas
  • Throw away brushes/ paint brushes
  • Colour Sprays by Kryolan 
A few images of the 'Fullers Earth' giving my model the muddy, dirty look

Image of the Fuller Earth product used


The Fullers Earth mixed up looking like this- A mud like consistency 


Tools used to apply the fullers earth onto the skin- Do not use nice brushes to do this!
Cheap throw away ones are the best when working on this task





Another angle image of the Fullers Earth on the side of the face, avoiding contact with the eye area.



Fullers Earth with the Brown spray which worked well together


Another image


This is when I decided to try a fashion approach to the fullers earth with the silver spray over the top, I loved the texture with the colour, I could see this used over the face or body in fashion somewhere.
I enjoyed experimenting with these products and seeing how they turned out, this also inspired me for a future shoot.

Here is the up close image of the silver on the fullers earth effect.


Sprays used to create the brown and silver effect over the top of the fullers Earth












No comments: