Tuesday 8 March 2016

it's just a Scratch..


This week I looked at forming a scratch from a branch or someone has attacked with their nails effect and also attempted to create deep claw scratch marks with putty. 

Health and safety
  • Make sure your model is covered up with a gown to protect their clothes from product spillage, just in case, as this is a messy job.
  • Use barrier foam when applying SFX onto the skin e.g. blood, latex, gelatine
  • Keep hair away from the face when applying products/ makeup
  • Decant products between each model
  • Keep work surface clear and surrounding area 
Claw attack wound...
I attempted to create deep claw "animal" mark, perhaps with was from a bear etc. I used putty, warmed it up like butter spread it on a prepped models arm, with using barrier foam before applying then after the putty was layered on I layered latex on top to give it more texture and a fleshy feel to it. I dried this with a hair dryer, I made sure I tested the temperature before using it on my model, after it dried I applied colour with supra color kryolan, my bruise wheel, layered it on, blended the colours then applied special effects blood from running blood to congealed blood, I felt it was more effective with spreading the blood over the arm with the orange stiple sponge to give more realism to the effect I was after. 

Here are the images of the process, putty and liquid latex through to the colouring and blending process, I found it very enjoyable, I love trying new things, but I was a little disappointed with how it turned out, I feel it looked to fake and I could of made the cuts more jaggered to create a more brutal effect of the "claw, attack wound". However, I am very new to this and it is test and error and I will learn for next time. 


An image of blood and colouring 


Another one...


Lastly another one...


This week I also looked at scratches...
I had the fresh scratch effect by Kryolan in my kit and wanted to try it out and see how to make it work so it looked like a scratch.

I wiped the area where I wanted to apply this product to with cleanser, I then decanted the product onto my palette and applied it across the arm with a small makeup brushes and used stroking motions up and down the arm to give the scratch effect.


Images of the product and brush I used to create the grazed scratch effect on the arm.


Products & materials used:

  • Fresh scratch blood effect by kryolan
  • Cleanser cleanse and remove product 
  • Cotton buds
  • Cotton pads
  • Small makeup brush 


Here are a couple images of testing and trying out this product for the first time, I feel I could of used some supra color kryolan before to build up the colour then apply this on top. I liked the consistency of this product and how easily it is to mould the product into the correct position on the skin, I feel i could of used alternatively a stiple sponge to give it a more grazed look from this.




No comments: