Thursday 3 March 2016

Makeup: Burns using Gelatine


Burns using Gelatine, how to colour

What I did with health and safety included:

This week our task was playing around with gelatine to create burns.

We cut up the gelatine/veg gelatine as I didn't like the fact it was made from animals due to myself being a veggie. We put this in a small microwaveable bowl and put it on for 20 secs, checked it and stirred it, making sure it was the right consistency with a spatula. 



Health and Safety notes:
  • Make sure your client is covered up
  • Decant products between each model
  • Keep work surface clear and surrounding area
  • It is important to make sure the gelatine has cooled down before applying to the skin, as this can cause serious REAL burns.
  • Only 20 seconds needed to heat up the Gelatine, keep an eye on it and test on your wrist before applying to your model.
  • Test on yourself before applying to your model, due to health and safety and thats the last thing you want, burning your model, so BE CAREFUL!
  • Gelatine is used a lot within the industry, the consistency I found was perfect to mould into what ever shape desired.  
  • When applied on the skin, dry with a hair dryer; I then melted and blended the sides of the gelatine with witch hazel so it looked part of the forearm. I thirdly layered up with makeup, blood, pus, and fixed it with powder on top; It made myself become creative and so I created a gorey burn as images show below.



I started with dabbing light shades of reds and pinks over the gelatine and added detailed with smaller brushes and I was happy for my first attempt with this product.

You can build it up gradually by spreading it, creating the perfect structure or design desired. 
You can use picking up motions to create texture (skin like).

I really loved working with this product, it was easy and fun to play around with and looking forward to using it again. 
For next time I will work on my colouring of makeup, but this will get better with more work and practice.

Gelatine is great for people who have an allergy to latex!

When you have finished with the gelatine in the bowl, DO NOT throw away down the sink, remove excess with warm water to let it soak which will lift the gelatine off the bowl, gather it up with tissue and throw away, if you do not do this it will clog up the sink.

Products & Materials used:
  • Gelatine/Veg Gel
  • Small microwaveable bowl
  • Spatula
  • Witch Hazel
  • Cotton buds
  • Illamasqua setting Powder
  • Kryolan supra color
  • Kryolan bruise wheel
  • Kryolan conjiled blood & pus
  • Foundation brush & small detail brushes
  • Vaseline- create raw tender skin appearance


A few images below of what I created with the product for the first time!





Applied vaseline to create a sore effect on the skin, which worked well.



Some more burn photographs 






No comments: